Expat Life, Family Life, Other Stuff

Importing your dog into Oman from the UK

January 25, 2013

I was recently asked by the Expat Arrivals website to write a piece about importing dogs to Oman from the UK as I have recent first hand knowledge of this. The article is now online and you can read it by clicking here.

The lack of information online can be quite frustrating when you are trying to make the difficult & expensive decision whether to ship your pet here or not, what information there is online is generally vague and years out of date. Hopefully this article can help people to make the right decision.

Penny with her pet passport all ready to travel.

My dog, Penny, loves it here and she has a great life but that doesn’t mean to say that every dog is going to have the same. When making the decision you need to separate the emotional and practical side of it, don’t be selfish and really think about whether your dog can actually handle the change of temperature and lifestyle. Sometimes I think the fact that she is a German Shepherd is a blessing for her, although people are terrified of her size they know the breed as the Royal Omani Police use this breed also. If she was some kind of other dog such as a Pitbull or Doberman they may be alot more frightened due to the stigma attached to these breeds.

This was the crate specially made for Penny, due to her size, for the long trip from Scotland to Oman. This is not a nice experience packing them into here and leaving them in a cargo building not knowing how they are until a full 24 hours later when they arrive.

If your dog (or cat for that matter but I don’t have much experience with them) would not handle the temperature or a complete change in routine and lifestyle then you need to leave them behind, just remember that Oman is a Muslim country and dogs are not widely accepted here. Do your research!

Some people feel that they cannot live without the company of a dog which is completely understandable but there are other options than stressing out your dog transporting them here. There are hundreds of animals here waiting for a loving home, try contacting Qurum Vets or the Oman Animal Adoption Agency to see the animals they have available for fostering and Adoption.

Hopefully this article can help you to make up your mind what will work best for you and your pet.

• Reply RikL January 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Fantastic article Heather – certainly a lot to think about. Jenny mentioned in an email that you guys had managed to meet up and have a good old fashioned natter. And she got to meet Penny! Thanks so much for taking the time out to do that for us – it is really appreciated. Hopefully we will get a chance to repay you for your kindness!

• Reply The Duncan Adventures January 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Hi Rik! Yeah it was a pleasure to meet her and hopefully I managed to help her rather than hinder her. I loved hearing the stories about Ralphie going to the hospital as a therapy dog, what a great thing to do.
      But honestly it’s no problem, I am happy to help you guys.
      Hope Jenny makes it back safe to you guys 🙂

• Reply peter January 30, 2013 at 1:10 PM

My experience is that the import process is fairly straight-forward and I did all the forms myself – I had started the process in the expectation of routing via Schipol only to learn that there were no aircraft with pressurised holds flying from the UK to Schipol. We then had to shift to BA who have a nice cartel going with air shipping agents – the worlds favourite airline won’t deal with anyone except their selected chums which keeps the price nice and high (1600 Pounds compared to KLM’s 100 Euros!) – in theory these agents will do it all for you but in reality they leave you to do the difficult stuff on arrival yourself. I got the PRO to meet us at the airport and he did all the handshaking etc. I paid some cash over for something I dont understand and we went and got the aiport vet to do an inspection (“yes thats a dog”) – apparently they sometimes dont even do that – and our dog was out in about an hour after landing.

I think you can take your dog on Oman Air as checked baggage – paying the excess baggage charge at the airport – rather than cargo, which might be a little less stressful for the dog as the flight is shorter and only one takeoff and landing.

For my part, going back I will fly to Amsterdam and go the rest of the way on the Ferry rather than give BA’s agents so much money!

• Reply The Duncan Adventures January 30, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Hi Peter, thank you for your input.

Yes I agree with in theory the agents should do these things for you but I ended up double checking and undoing the mess that was made by my agent so it always pays to be observant with them and not just assume that they are doing everything. I ended up with an emergency out of hours phone call to the UK Ministry of Agriculture to race through my paper work as she made such a balls up if it. Now that wasn’t cheap either.

Unfortunately I didn’t have the option of taking my dog as excess baggage due to her size, believe me I tried, but for people with smaller dogs and better airlines/routing then that is always a viable option. My doggie is big, heavy and too long for just about all airlines in their current regulations but who knows it may change again. I chose to write about my experience as it wasn’t a hugely straight forward one.

The “yes that’s a dog” made me laugh, it is so true and quite sad that the health of the animal isn’t always checked but they don’t particularly care. It’s a different world out here.

Anyway I hope that your dog made the journey safely and thank you for contributing your experience for everyone 🙂

• Reply sree July 31, 2013 at 9:26 PM

hey , i want to bring a dog from india to oman so whats the procedure for bringing the dog in the flight .

thanks in advance 🙂

• Reply The Duncan Adventures August 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Hi Sree,
      I have only imported my own dog from the UK and never have I done it from India. All countries have their own different regulations so you are best to check with a local vet in India on the steps you should take.

On the Oman side I would suggest looking up Muscat Vets to assist you, they are very knowledgeable and can help you with paperwork and current regulations.
      Thanks.