I got a text from friends first thing this morning asking if I wanted to go hiking to Wadi Shab. Sh*t I’ve slept in. I’m never going to have enough time to give the dog a decent walk before I leave and be ready to go in the next 40 minutes. So I text my friend “Can dogs go to the Wadi’s?”. Two minutes later “Hell yeahhhh”. So that was that sorted, I could still have my hike and the dog wasn’t going to sit at home unwalked and sad.
If you are in Oman and you have never been to Wadi Shab then I suggest you take the time to visit, it is about 1.5 hours drive from Muscat heading South on the road to Sur. You can find the route in the Oman Off Road book and is one of the most popular outdoor places for tourists as people of mostly all abilites can find enjoyment here. The word “Wadi” means valley in Arabic so expect rocks, water etc in any Wadi you visit.
When you arrive in the car park you must then take a small fishing boat across the mouth of the water to get onto the walking trail. Then I thought “Ahh crap I’ll have to swim across with the dog” as most people here are scared of big dogs but luckily for me the man driving the boat didn’t care as we just gave him a little extra money. FYI, each person usually pays about 200 biasa (32p) each so bring change with you.
Now we are across the water and ready to start our walk in the Wadi. We go through the palm trees and into the mouth of the Wadi.
- Water! Summer time is coming and you don’t want to be dehydrated
- Flat, sensible walking shoes. You will need to climb at some points so you must be stable. Your shoes are going to get wet no matter what and the pools are often very slippery.
- Sun protection. When going from pool to pool you forget how strong the sun is. I wore sun glasses, factor 30 suncream and a tshirt with UV protection upto SPF40.
- 200 biasa each for the boat across the water
- Girls should remain modestly dressed when in pools of water. If you want to wear a bikini I’d advise still putting a tshirt over the top, believe me I learnt the hard way last time!!