Recently I found a list called “You know that you have been in the Middle East too long when..” and it really made me chuckle. Every country has their own list but I wanted to share with you a few things from the list that are shining bright for me after one year in Oman:
- You are not surprised to see a goat in the passenger seat of a car
- You ask someone what time to expect them and the response is “insh’allah”, meaning they probably won’t turn up at all.
- Your idea of housework is leaving a note for the housemaid
- You believe that speed limits are only advisory
- You refuse to go swimming unless the water is boiling hot
- You wear a jacket inside and take it off when you get outside
- You know which end of the Schwarma to open first
- You give directions by landmarks rather than street names
- You think water only comes in bottles
And here are just a few that I come across myself:
- You make friends with people just because you speak the same language, not because you like each other
- You know what the hose next to the toilet is for and how hot the water can get eeekkk!
- You spend more a month running the AC in your house than you would in the UK on heating
- You know not to use a gas station bathroom 😐
- The idea of walking somewhere is completely absurd
Do you have any funny things learnt from living in the Middle East or any other new country?