Adventure Time

The Mate Date Adventure – Bawsher, Oman

January 10, 2015

In need of some vitamin D and a new adventure I called up my buddy, Rach, and persuaded her that it would be great fun to go somewhere new and explore.

My crazy ideas aren’t for everyone but thankfully she was willing to trust me and joined the adventure.

Not wanting to stray too far from Muscat city we headed into the hills around Bawsher to explore the area, get a sweat on and catch up.

Setting off we made a rough plan of where we wanted to explore, the land marks around us and then headed off into the unknown territory.

Walking, scrambling and climbing the terrain got rough but we handled it with the mountain goat precision (ha, ha yeah right!)

01 Rach hike

It wasn’t long before we spotted out first wild creature along the way. Meet little Jimmy Cricket.

The word ‘little’ is obviously a joke, this fella was pretty large!

01 Jimmy Cricket

Wandering our way along the path we followed the sound of tricking water to the ancient Omani “falaj” irrigation system which channels water from the mountains to agricultrural farms below.

01 Felaj system

01 Bowsher pools

Following the water upstream we arrived at a beautiful wadi pool of fresh water.

01 Bousher Wadi

In the shade I dipped my bare feet into the refreshing water, intrigued to see if the fish would swim over and nibble my toes like the expensive mall pedicures. They weren’t interested in my smelly tootsies this time.

As we headed back towards the direction of home there was one last place of interest and photo opportunity.

This ancient house was .in ruins but still strikingly beautiful as it stood out from the more modern buildings that surrounded it. The details were all hand crafted.

01 Bousher building colour

This house looks like there would be a great history behind it, I would love to know more!

01 Bowsher house

Feeling much healthier, relaxed and all chatted out we headed home before the sun went down. You never know what prowls these hills after dark…

Why don’t you try and explore somewhere new and tell me all about it 🙂

• Reply Ayshe January 11, 2015 at 8:40 AM

What a great day out, I would love to do more of this around Oman but it is so easy to let the weekends pass by. You’ve inspired me though, there is a great little abandoned village at the base of Jebel Akhdar if you like that sort of thing, and I have heard about one in Bowsher but I haven’t found it yet.

• Reply Heather January 12, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Hey Ayshe!

It really is so easy to let the weekend slip past and before you know it then it’s back to school and work again.

If this post can even inspire one person to get our and do something new then it’s all worth while.

Heather 🙂

• Reply OPNO January 12, 2015 at 1:14 PM

DON’T POST: I don’t know if you’ve already got an invite for Muscat Fashion Week, but if not, do want to go an cover it with me? I think you’d have fun!

• Reply Salim January 12, 2015 at 5:09 PM

How do I get there, where do I start!!!!. Please do tell

• Reply Heather January 13, 2015 at 9:39 AM

I have sent you a lengthy email Salim, Hopefully it can help you! 🙂

• Reply Louise February 3, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Hi, just wondering where does this start from? My friends and I want to do it this weekend as it looks great but have no idea where to start!! Thanks for your help!

• Reply Heather February 3, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Hey Louise!

Thanks for your comment. This isn’t a specific track, we just started wandering and happened to stumble on some beautiful things but I’ll give you some directions and hopefully you can go on an adventure also.

Enter into Boushwer, pass the Dolphin Village on your right, at the roundabout with MPH go straight ahead, At the next round about with the lanterns take a right, Then at the next roundabout take a left. This brings you to like old Bousher area with some kind of Olympic venue on your right. I would park the car around there and start your walk. Walk into the village (heading towards the hills), there will be a big wall running along your left side that you can see banana trees and palm trees behind. Just keep walking & exploring along there towards the hills and soon you will find the wadi and the beautiful things.

Sorry I can’t be more specific, we just made the route up as we went along.

Have fun! x