Monthly Favourites

February 2015 Favourites

March 3, 2015

I’m looking at the calendar in disbelief that it is March already, this year is flying by already!

Here is a round up of my top favourite things from the month of February. As always, these are my personal favourites and nothing has been sponsored or influenced. And because this is for grown ups, none of it includes baby stuff.

1- Ed Sheeran concert

An Instagram shot from the man himself

An Instagram shot from the man himself

The Ed Sheeran gig was certainly the biggest and most exciting thing to happen in Oman in a long time. Fresh off the plane from winning two Brit awards it was amazing to see such a big act in Oman.

This is one of my favourite things from February because of the fun atmosphere and a great night with friends – not even the mini hurricane could stop that party!

2- The book ‘Before I go to sleep’

01 Feb fave books

This little treasure was found in the Dar Al Atta bookshop. The film, staring Nicole Kidman, was already on my list of things to watch so when I saw the book hiding at the back of the shelf I grabbed I straight away.

The story was intriguing and gripping – watch out for the twist near the end. I didn’t see that one coming! I’m looking forward to watching the film to see how Nicole Kidman brings the character to life.

(You can find the Dar Al Atta charity bookshop in the Qurum CCC where most books are just 1 rial)

3- ‘How to get away with murder’ – TV programme

How to get away with murder TV

This new dark and twisted show is created by the brilliant mind of Shonda Rhimes, who also created ‘Scandal’ and ‘Greys Anatomy’.

I started watching this HTGAWM a few weeks ago and have been hooked ever since. It’s a thinker, it gives you hints and just when you think you are one step ahead of the game then BAM it’s shocked you all over again. I am just a couple of episodes from the season finale, I can’t wait to see what happens!

If you are a fan of this show and Scandal I would love to hear what other programmes you enjoy, maybe you can recommend some things to me.

4- Sandstock & Camel selfies

Sanstock camel selfie

If you didn’t read about Sandstock yet then where have you been?! It was the secret concert in the desert and the most fun I’ve had in a long time – Click here to read about it. With camping, bonfires, rolling about in the sand and searching for camels it was just one of those unplanned, random weekends that are the most fun and leave lasting memories.

Trying to take a selfie with my new camel friend, Jeff, was a little tricky as he was keen on swapping saliva.

5- Gym time

01 noodle arms

In February I renewed my gym membership and started to take more time for myself. My ‘baby’ has just turned one year old and I don’t have any excuse for still carrying the baby weight **sigh**
So I’m back to it, working out and staying active.

Not only is it good to loose a bit of timber, physically it is good to stay limber and flexible. For me, I also enjoy working out for the mental health benefits and to have a bit more body confidence. So far I am really enjoying it and like going to the classes for that extra push from a trainer.

Now I just need to work on the guns so they look a little less like pasty white noodles..

—————————–

What are your favourite things from the month gone by?

• Reply Riza March 3, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Totally agree with your list. The books, the concert. The concert is defenitely one of my faves this year. If this was my lists, I’d add watching The Nutcracker too *wink wink*. Espcially the gym part. Haven’t been to the gym myself ever, but I have discovered workouts by Kayla Itsines. Enrolling in a gym class is still a challenge, financially. So I have decided to give her work outs a try as I have seen marvelous results from all those who tried. Check het IG account.

• Reply Heather March 3, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Oh the Nutcracker sounded amazing, Riza. I was really upset that I didn’t have the chance to go.

That is true, gym classes really are expensive, that is part of the reason why it took me so long to renew my membership. I have ‘followed’ Kayla Itsines on IG now (whilst I eat chocolate) and have MAJOR body envy!

• Reply riza March 3, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Should definitely go back to my reading. If there exists a Book Buyers Club, I’ll be the first member to sign up. lol. And body transformations are a real envy. I have tried the pre training sessions, and it was haaaaaard.

• Reply Heather March 4, 2015 at 4:30 PM

I’m already addicted to the Instagram account! I think tomorrow will be a gym day after seeing all those pics 😛

• Rizalina Penaflor March 4, 2015 at 4:34 PM

I already have the ebook and a dumbell. Just a little more push and motivation and space to move is lacking. Already tried, and gosh! It was harder than it looks.

• Reply Dee March 3, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Hi Heather,

I’ve been following you blog for a few months now, ever since I knew that I’d be moving to Muscat. Moved here in January this year. I’m also a mum, to a 15 month old. I admire the way you’ve managed to not let go of your life and find time to do a lot of stuff that need time away from the kid. Working out, for example. I quit my job when I moved to Muscat, after being a working mom for a year. Would love for some pointers on how to get some adult activities in… Being new to Muscat, it’s tough to find people to hang out with.

• Reply Heather March 4, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Hey Dee!

Welcome to Muscat! I hope that you are enjoying it so far and thank you for taking the time to comment.

Being a Mum is truly the best thing that has ever happened to me but like you say, you still need a life for you. It can get very frustrating and lonely to just a ‘Mum’ all the time. Every day I take some time for myself, whether Spencer is napping or at child care or with his Dad, I make a conscious effort to do something on my own. Then when I go back to him I feel that I am a better Mum because I had that chill out time.

Have you joined groups like Muscat Mums, The Womens Guild and the American Womens Group? They are all great ways to find like minded people 🙂

Heather 🙂 x

• Reply Ayshe March 3, 2015 at 2:28 PM

Totally agree, Ed Sheeran was the best thing about February. That and my little sister coming to stay (even if she did only book tickets to see Ed!)

• Reply Heather March 4, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Lets hope there are some more big name acts soon 😉

Hope you had a fab time with your sister x