Adventure Time, Expat Life

Sur-prisingly Lovely

March 11, 2015

This week I took a road trip down the coast road to the ‘city’ of Sur.

Many parts of Oman are currently engulfed under the largest dust storm to hit in a decade, the air is thick and dusty and the sky is hazy. Thankfully as I left the city behind the cloud disappeared leaving blue skies for the road ahead. The sunglasses were on and the music turned up and off I went.

Sur is somewhere that I have never visited before, I’ve never actually made it further than Wadi Shab before, Not great for someone who write a blog with “adventures” in the title.

There was of course a reason why I would drive so far from Muscat city on my own – My friend Steph is currently living in Sur and whilst she normally drives up to Muscat to see me I decided that it was time to repay the favour. our plan was to see sights and visit somewhere new.

Sur is a charming little ‘city’ located around 2 hours drive from Muscat. The road is smooth, easy dual carriage way all the way there with beautiful views of staggering mountains, plenty of goats and the occasional donkey wandering onto the 120kmph carriageway. Yikes.

Get ready, this post is about to get a little bit photo heavy.

Lets start with Oman’s first suspension bridge…

01 Sur bridge

01 Sur fort

Sur is a historic place well known for building wooden Dhows. Although we didn’t visit the ship building yards it wasn’t difficult to find Dhows dotted all around the coast line.

01 Sur Dhow

Of course Sur is not as big or grand as Muscat city it definitely still has the sweet Omani charm and quirky little features that are easy to fall in love with. I loved this isolated little beach cafรฉ on the cornice.

01 lonely cafe

After doing the tourist thing in town and a nosey round the forts and castle we headed out to Ras Al Had turtle beach resort for lunch. The drive was a further 30-45 minutes (yes I had a numb bum by now from all the car travel) from Sur but we amused ourselves by spotting camels in the distance. Seeing camels always gives you that real feeling of being in “Arabia”.

So, The food at the Turtle Beach resort wasn’t even worth a photo but I have to show you what a beautiful view we had for lunch.

01 Sur turtle beach

01 Sur Steph lunch

01 Sur Heather beach

Heading back towards Sur we spotted a tiger randomly painted on the rocks. Oh, Oman you never fail to amuse me!

01 Sur tiger

We took a turn off the road at a place Steph assured me would be worth a visit. Of course I trusted her but as we headed past a worn, weather beaten building, piles of garbage and towards the edge of the cliff I honestly did have to question her sanity.

Was she going to drive us off the edge of the cliff?! Was there going to be a horrible ending to this story?!
Dum, Dum, Dummmmmmmmmmm…..

Thankfully for me it was all worth that stomach knotting moment. The view was spectacular. With the crystal clear waters lapping below, the fresh air blowing in from the ocean or just the pure beauty of the scene I don’t know but I was amazed.
(And still thankful that we didn’t drive right off the cliff..)

01 Sur cliff

01 Sur cliff wind

Lets just take a minute to fully appreciate just how gorgeous this water is…

01 Sur cliff water

01 Sur cliff Steph

02 Sur heart hands

All in all, Sur was a lovely place to visit on a day trip with plenty of beautiful sights and charm.

And once we were thoroughly tired tourists it was time for me to hop in the car and head back up to Muscat.

It’s a long ass drive home but I never tired of looking at the beautiful scenery that Oman has to offer. Plus there was no one to complain at my singing… la la laaaaa….

Have you been to Sur? I would love to hear from you.

Heather x

• Reply Hamza March 11, 2015 at 2:36 PM

hi, great report! Can you please tell me what is the name of the place where last 5 pictures were taken? Or the directions to there
    Thanks

• Reply Heather March 11, 2015 at 9:59 PM

Hi Hamza

I really don’t know the name of the place, maybe someone who reads this might, it wasn’t sign posted or have a proper road. I could give you vague directions if that helps? But anywhere along the coast from Fins to Sur is amazingly beautiful ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply hatim March 11, 2015 at 2:39 PM

ุŒextremely
    Nice

• Reply Heather March 11, 2015 at 9:58 PM

• Reply OPNO March 12, 2015 at 9:05 AM

BTW, I haven’t heard back about fashion week at all so maybe it isn’t happening?!

Anyways, gorgeous waters… I am so a sharqiyah girl at heart (this region)—which makes my interior region husband so insanely jealous… but sharqiyah has old crumbling mud villages, unpoilt coastline, private beaches, and the wahiba sands—-isn’t it just the most awesome region in Oman?

๐Ÿ™‚ Pink looks awesome on you btw.

• Reply Heather March 12, 2015 at 9:36 AM

No worries about FW, just let me know. I assumed it wasn’t happening as I haven’t see anything advertised.

Oh I’m the same, I just love all the crumbling villages, forts, white beaches. We are so spoilt here! Just you know what it’s like when the babies turn up, it’s hard to get out as much as you would like to explore.

Thank you, that is my go-to, go-with-everything scarf ๐Ÿ˜›

• Reply Mars March 22, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Wow, amazing scenery

• Reply Ap February 27, 2016 at 3:04 AM

Hi Heather, These pictures are gorgeous. I found your blog because I’m considering applying for a teaching position is Sur and I’m doing research. It’s hard to very much online. I have a husband and two girls – 10 and 14. From your short visit and what you know of your friend’s experience, can you tell me if Sur has a thriving enough expat community to make it interesting for an active family. We’d love the ocean and outdoor activities but I’d want the girls to be able to make friends.

• Reply Heather March 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Hello AP!

That is great you are considering a move to Oman. To be honest I don’t know too much about Sur in terms of how two young girls would adapt to it, there must be some kind of International school there? My friend who lived there has now moved to Muscat city as she was too lonely when her husband is at work all day and she doesn’t have kids. It takes about 2 hours to drive to the city.

In terms of the ocean and outdoor things like swimming, hiking, camping, being close to the desert then the location is amazing!

There are also Facebook groups like “Muscat where can I find” where you can ask the community for advice, maybe someone there can be of help ๐Ÿ™‚
      Good Luck with your search.

• Reply AC June 11, 2017 at 3:44 PM

Hi Heather! I really like reading your blog! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I just moved to Sur with my family. I’ll try to find this beautiful place at the cliff, it looks so amazing!!