The summer is coming. There’s nothing we can do about it even if we tried.
During the winter months living in Oman we are spoilt with weeks on end of glorious sunshine and pleasant temperatures allowing us to spend days on the beach and nights outdoors BBQ’ing. But that is winter.
The thing about summer is…. it’s like a long, hot, gross, burning, sweaty, hurdle that we have to overcome to get back to the good life.
There doesn’t seem to be much in between winter and summer around here. It feels like someone flips a switch and BOOM the humidity and the heat will hit you like a brick wall. For the past month someone has been teasing us with the switch, one day is hot but still bearable and then next feels like the surface of the sun. I dread the day when the switch is firmly stuck on maximum and we spend months indoors.
This will be my 3rd summer in the Omani oven so here are a few things I’ve learnt so far, newbies take note;
– NEVER trust the cold water tap/bum squirt hose/shower – that water is hot, hot, HOT! In our house you are risking serious skin scalding if you want to shower or wash your face after 10am.
– We’ve probably all done this one, You jump in the car to get that AC switched on pronto and you lean on the metal of the seatbelt, OUCH! That really is a sore one, cue the swear words.
– You are going to sweat in places you didn’t even know was possible. Yep, there.. I think you are with me.
– Whatever the ‘outside temperature’, add on another million degrees for the humidity. Eww, Sticky.
– People get too hot, lazy and grouchy. Watch out on the roads, the summer time road rage is coming. Driving along you’ll probably find a Lexus or a Toyota Camry (don’t get angry, it’s true) up your ass flashing and beeping like a maniac.
– Ladies, You will sweat profusely. No ammount of blotting paper (what is that crap anyway?) or powder will help you. Your make up will literally slide down your face, I’ve lost my eyebrows many a time. Oh and hello there frizz! Learn to plait/braid your hair to avoid a ‘Monica’ from Friends.
– The glasses fog is a very real thing. Walking from the heat into the AC your glasses are going to steam up rendering you temporarily blind. Don’t spit on them, they aren’t goggles.
But the silver lining is that winter will return at some point, even though it feels like a long way right now, and we can step back outdoors again and return to the good life.
Please remember to stay hydrated, wear sunscreen and never leave babies or pets alone in the car. Oh and watch yourself on that butt hose 😛