Adventure Time, Fitness

The Secret Waterfall – Wadi Al Arbeieen/Arbaeen

November 26, 2016

Wadi Al Arbeieen or even Arbaeen – however you want to spell it, this is an amazing location that you need to add to your ‘must visit’ list.

I’ve often heard of people going there to swim, BBQ, hang out and picnic but I heard whispers of a waterfall deep inside the wadi. Not many people were aware of this when I asked them so I forgot about it until recently.

Excited for the winter weather and the opportunity to get outdoors on long National Day weekend I ventured out to Wadi Arbeein for an adventure with a couple of good friends. Thankfully, M had been here before so he knew how to get us to the illusive ‘Al Hail waterfall’ deep in the heart of the Wadi.

Venturing into the heart of the valley the fresh water pools are an amazing place to cool down after a strenuous hike and have some fun, at some points there was no way to continue the journey unless you took the plunge and swam. The visibility in the pools was amazingly clear allowing beautiful views of the fish swimming by. With very little garbage and pollution, this is by far the best Wadi I have visited in Oman.

To reach the waterfall itself the trek was hard going and dangerous at points, this is not a day out for the faint hearted – clambering over huge boulders, leaping across rocks with sheer drops and pulling yourself up into a narrow crack in the rock with only a rope for support as your feet slip and slide on the smooth surface. One wrong step in here and you would be in trouble. Believe me, Clumsy as ever I took a tumble down a sharp rock outcrop. I left that out of the video to spare my own blushes..

Reaching the waterfall took 2.5 exhausting hours but it was worth it to experience such an amazingly pure, untouched beauty. Swimming in the pool below the waterfall was an experience I’ll never forget.

001-under-waterfall

It’s not every day you take a shower under a waterfall! This is one of the amazing things that I truly love about Oman, these awesome life experiences are out there and for free – you just have to be proactive about it!

Click on the video link for the full trip, please leave a comment and let me know if you enjoyed it!

Oman, you really are a very beautiful creature.

Heather x

• Reply OPNO November 27, 2016 at 1:29 PM

Such a beautiful place isn’t it?

I haven’t been there in forever, so thanks for posting photos.

Truly lovely captures.

• Reply Wally December 6, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Great pics ! Is this place accessible easily with saloon car or do you need 4WD?

• Reply Heather December 27, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Hey Wally, Thanks for your comment. The parking area can be accessed with a regular saloon car, it may be a little bumpy but totally do-able. 🙂

• Reply Elisabeth January 11, 2017 at 1:59 PM

Hi Heather.
    Nice photoes and video of one of my favorite wadies in Oman 🙂 This is the wadi to the right when you come in to the village right? I have only walked as fare as through the gorge (we normaly leave our bags near the end of the falage, and swim most of it) after the gorge it opens up a bit, and this is were we tend to turn around. How mouch furter is it frim there, and does it get really hard going from there?

• Reply Heather January 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM

Hey Elisabeth,
      Thanks for your comment. Yes this is the wadi to the right – I’m not sure exactly how much further from the point you specified but it took us exactly 2.5 hours from the car to the waterfall and then about 2 hours 10 to get back.

It is a pretty hard hike to get there but totally achievable if you have decent fitness and take it slow (maybe allow 3 hours to get there) and remember snacks and water to keep you going – it’s not somewhere you want to be if your blood sugar drops or you get dehydrated.

This wadi is by far my favorite in Oman now 😀 Good luck!

• Reply James Fraser January 27, 2017 at 5:20 PM

Hi Heather,

This looks like such a great hike! I’m a little unsure where it is though. Would you be able to send me a pin of the location of the waterfall and I should be able to work it out from there? Thanks!

• Reply Clare January 28, 2017 at 11:47 PM

This looks amazing. I had never heard of the waterfall, despite being here for 12 years! Perhaps I should get out more;)

• Reply Heather January 31, 2017 at 11:46 AM

Hey Clare!
      Yeah it seems a lot of people haven’t heard of this waterfall, but that is kind of the beauty of it – there wasn’t another soul for miles around and it was totally pure and unspoilt.

I’ll keep posting cool things to inspire everyone to get out and try new things don’t worry 🙂 Have a great day! x

• Reply paula ashman February 4, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Wonderful footage, prob will never experience as we have a five yr old but truly looks amazing. So glad you shared your experience, a great insight.

• Reply Heather February 5, 2017 at 2:06 PM

Hey Paula,
      Thanks for your comment. Yeah I totally understand the struggles to get outdoors and explore when you have a little one, my boy has just turned 3 and Wadi adventures aren’t quite suitable for him yet. But if you ever have a day when you have a babysitter it is a great place to explore and have a day off parenting and doing something for yourself – it’s like my kind of therapy 🙂

Have a great day,